Five Photos by Tom Carey

posted by / Blogs, Photo / August 19, 2010

SURFING’s photo team is ichiban number one on planet earth, but thousands of their images go unseen. This travesty shall not stand. We give you SURFING’s Five Photos series.

Samoa. PHOTO: Tom Carey
Zahn Foxton // Samoa

This was one of the most fun sessions of shooting of my life. Perfect four-foot barrels coming in with just Zahn and Ozzie Wright surfing. It’s days like this that you’re glad you’re shooting digital and have 500 photos on your card. The camp got obliterated in the tsunami, but they’re rebuilding. The Samoan people are so strong-hearted.

Skate Palm. PHOTO: Carey
Thom Pringle // Infrared // Mexico

I had an old Rebel converted a while back to shoot infrared. It’s so fun to shoot with it. The camera is crazy. If someone is standing in the sun it will pierce through the skin, so to speak, and show all that person’s veins. I love my infrared camera.

Julian Wilson. Western Australia. PHOTO: Tom Carey
Julian Wilson // Western Australia

I love seeing these skate-style shots. I was really influenced by guys like Tony Roberts and Nelly when I was younger, and this is me just copying their style of water photography.

Lineup. Mexico. PHOTO: Carey
Lineup // Mexico

This is a shot from a trip back in April. It’s not an easy place to shoot action, which is fine with me as I got to surf for a while. This wave is so fun.

Mitch Coleborn. Restaurants. PHOTO: Carey
Mitch Coleborn // Restaurants

The water wasn’t as clear as Cloudbreak but I like his style and the Hawaiian shirt he’s wearing.

—Words and photos by Tom Carey

Related Articles:

Five Photos by DJ Struntz
August 16, 2010

First in a new series from SURFING’s camera sensei more >

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Five Photos by Tom Carey”

1. James says:

Incredible to see the caliber of what makes print and goes unseen. Thanks for sharing!

2. Jeff says:

TC is the man, but what’s up with that Julian Wilson shot? Compared to what I’ve seen from him, that image doesn’t do anything for me. Far away, horizon off, cloudy, etc.

3. TweeterMonkey says:

Tom’s amazing, but I don’t think this is a good representation of his work. Like the infered and underwater, but the others are B’s. Cool series, though, the 5 shots. I know you save the best for print, so it’s just cool to have more to look at…and be overly critical about. Gets me stoked to go shoot more myself.

4. Wetsuit Centre says:

Awesome shots. The Samoa pic of Zahn Foxton actually makes you feel like yiu are in the barrel – Happy Days!

5. OSIM says:

BEst surf photographer definitely! Actually I don’t understand why these shots are not wallpapers! :/

6. Diego says:

I’ve been to that wave in Mexico and want to go back, so THANKS for not revealing the location…ever…

7. Editor says:

I love Tom’s photography, but I’ve got to call bullshit on this on the infrared conversion! Where’s Jimmicane?

“I had an old Rebel converted a while back to shoot infrared.” say what? there’s no such thing as an infared camera???? Any old school film camera can shoot infared, no conversion necessary. It’s infrared film, not a camera??? Maybe someone told him they could convert it and he got ripped off.

8. Da Cat says:

That Mexico photo is pretty fucked up right there