Out of Office Reply: How to Lose Heats and Sell Boardshorts

posted by / Blogs / October 31, 2011

Out of Office Reply is Editor Taylor Paul’s column on big waves, travel, and other manly bits.

dillon perillo

Dillon Perillo and Ocean Beach, great friends.

Out of Office Reply
It’s a hazy drive to the beach and the low morning sun casts long shadows on the homes and businesses along Geary Street. I’m still fuzzy from Saturday night’s Halloween festivities and anxious to jump in the crisp Pacific to wash off this hangover and face paint.

Arriving at the north end of Ocean Beach, I drive past a pack of the Kelly’s Cove Local Boys and they check out my girlfriend in the passenger seat because she’s gorgeous and despite popular opinion, there are straights in San Francisco. I park. The water is glassy and the sun is out but there’s not much swell in the water, meaning it’s overhead and wedgey.

The Rip Curl contest scaffolding stands a half mile south of where I’m parked, and I wonder why they set up shop where the waves are disorganized and the current’s strong. But it’s a logical decision, actually: Better parking + a big restaurant = eyes = boardshort sales. “It’s all about the boardshorts,” says Dillon Perillo when he joins me in the parking lot. “People claim t-shirts and wetsuits, but really it’s all about the boardshorts.”

Dillon’s a funny dude.

We surf and he surfs well and does some air spins and big turns. He let’s me borrow a leash which saves me many swims to the beach. For some reason he knows a lot of local guys in the water and shakes their hands. He says that on Friday he went to a rave with young Maverick’s charger Colin Dwyer. “But there weren’t any glow sticks or anything.”

We speak about contest surfing and he acknowledges how much you have to sacrifice to win. “You pretty much can’t have friends. You just talk to your team managers and your coaches and don’t do anything fun.”

Which is something to keep in mind when picking your roster for your Fantasy Action Sports League. He’ll be surfing against Rip Curl teammate Owen Wright in the first round. Owen’s made three finals this year. Owen’s got a coach. Owen was absent from last Friday’s rave. And he’s certainly not going to the 49ers game right now with Australia Surfing Life editor Chris Binns.

Dillon is.

“I don’t know, I should probably be focusing or whatever. But what am I supposed to do? Go sit in my room by myself and stratagize?”

We’ll see ya in Round 2, Dillon!

Tags: , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Out of Office Reply: How to Lose Heats and Sell Boardshorts”

1. gai says:

‘We’ll see ya in Round 2, Dillon!”

I guess he already lost round 1 then?

2. pol pot says:

damn this kid sounds like a tool..

3. Sven says:

Why even give him a wild card? You know this is pro surfing, right? Embarrassing.

4. Matt says:

Hey, how about more pictures of your girlfriend and less of Dillon Perillo… unless he’s surfing.
    Thank you.

5. Your Daily Friend says:

Dillon sounds cool. World Tour contests at Ocean Beach do not sound cool, though..

6. rutgers says:

The guy can surf.
    Ocean beach area is full of Obama supporters.

7. Yoda says:

Ocean Beach sounds like my kind of place then. As opposed to a beach area full of Bachman or Palin supporters? LOL

8. ocean beach local says:

Obama is a racist and has divided this country into class warfare. Bush was just a reckless drunk.

9. Mic says:

Ya there is only about 100 guys on the Sun Shine coast alone that surf as good as this guy. To all Obama supporters, O never mind…

10. obee one kanobee says:

hop on a turtle …. do the honu hustle….
    turtle hop till we drop nicca

11. Eric Hakala says:

moving to Texas has put a small damper on me surfing 5-6 times a week like when living in Hawaii. No wet suits but the latest in Board shorts. I miss Makaha, Sunset, V-land and Freddies. I didn’t forget pipe, I just never had the balls to surf the shallow reef. My roots are So Co Doh Ho,tressels,Rincon and 23rd st. in SB. Man This sucks. Today was 4+. Better than nothing I guess.
    But I got some bad ass board shorts.
    Surf well,
    Eric @ http://www,thenewshopeasy.com/sports

12. 1FromTheCheapSeats says:

bush!??!
    “just a recktless drunk”!!!?!!!
    how about lying, murdering war monger who sent thousands of u.s. citizens to their deaths in iraq because he (and donald and dick ) made a “mistake” about W.O.M.D. and couldn’t wait another 6-12 months to cross check his facts to 100 % certainty.
    “oooops! sorry moms and dads”!!!!
    at least cheney and his pals at haliburton, among others, got thier blood money out of 43′s “recklessness”.
    what a galactically ignorant ocean beach local.
    gw’s silence since leaving office has been deafening.
    and i like it …..

13. dale stildoe says:

Boycott Ripcurl! I would have rather seen marty shotenhiemer or carrot top surf a ct…but cmon the guy has no OB sav at all, and probly left the next day…rip curl you can take your____ and put —and take the handle bars and ________….Garth