Google Earth Challenge
You do all the work.
We hog the glory.
Sort of kidding. Download the free Google Earth software (below) and use the little electronic God Hand to spin the earth until you find a perfect surf break that nobody has ever ridden. Now do a little research and realize that people have actually been surfing that place for years and they just didn't tell you. OK, go back and try again. Keep trying until you find a place that has legitimately never been surfed. Yes, it's probably hard to get there, fickle as hell, and guarded by famished cannibals, but that¹s why it's never been surfed. And that's why we're sending you. We'll pay and you can be the first to surf the wave. All you've got to do is fill in the entry form (right) with a location that isn't awful and you could be on your way to surf yet-to-be-named perfection.
Last Day to Enter: March 31, 2012
1. Introduction: Source Interlink Magazines, LLC (owner and publisher of Surfing Magazine) ("Sponsor") is offering the "Google Earth Challenge" Contest ("Contest"). NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility: Entrant must be 18 as of Tuesday, January 17, 2012 and a legal resident of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. Employees of Sponsor, Sponsor's parents, subsidiaries, affiliated companies, and agents and the immediate family (defined as parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents) of each such employees, and all those with whom such employees are domiciled, are NOT eligible.
3. Timing: Contest begins at 12:00:01 a.m. P.S.T. on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. P.S.T. on Monday, April 16, 2012.
4. How to Enter: Go to www.surfingmagazine.com and click on "Google Earth Challenge" tab. Enter your name, e-mail address, phone number, date of birth, and post your best picture (or screenshot) which exemplifies the theme "new best surf break" to the "Google Earth Challenge" Contest section of the web site. More than five entries from any person or e-mail address will void all entries from that person or e-mail address.
5. Judging Criteria: Entrant selected as the potential winner must comply with all terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all such requirements. The prizewinner will be selected by creativity, composition/arrangement, and adherence to theme in equal measure. The Contest will take place under the supervision of Sponsor. Participants agree to be bound by these rules and the decision of the judges, whose decisions are final. Potential winner will be notified by e-mail on or about Monday, April 30, 2012. If a potential winner cannot be contacted within fourteen (14) days after the first attempt to contact such potential winner, an alternate entrant will be selected in his or her place from all eligible entries received.
6. Prizes: This Contest will have one (one) winner and one (prize) package. The following prize package will be awarded:
- Trip for winner and a guest to the surf spot destination of choice. ($3000.00 retail value) (Trip includes air fare and lodging accommodations.)
- Surfing gear prize pack by RipCurl ($500.00 retail value)
7. Total Approximate Retail Value: Total ARV of prizes: $3500.00 (retail value is subject to market conditions and can vary). Sponsor is not responsible for lost or mutilated prizes and none will be replaced. Prize is nontransferable and must be accepted as awarded. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by Sponsor in the event that the prize cannot be awarded for any reason, in which case, Sponsor will substitute a prize of equal or greater value. All taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of winner.
8. Other Terms and Conditions: All entries must be original, may not have won previous prizes and must not infringe on any third party rights. Submission of entry constitutes entrant's consent (or that of their parent/legal guardian should they be a minor in their state of residence) to irrevocably assign to Sponsor any and all rights to their entry including, but not limited to, intellectual property rights. Potential winners and any guests who will share in the prize will each be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability Release, and where lawful, a Publicity Release, within fourteen (14) days of notification, failing which the potential winner will be disqualified and another winner selected in the place of the disqualified person at random from all entries received. If any prize or prize notification is returned as non-deliverable, the potential winner will be disqualified and another potential winner will be selected in the original potential winner's place. By accepting the prize, the winner agrees that Sponsor and those acting under the Sponsor's authority may use winner's name, picture/portrait likeness and/or voice, for advertising and promotional purposes without further consideration, unless prohibited by law. BY ACCEPTING THE PRIZE, THE WINNER AGREES THAT SPONSOR ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES, AND ALL OF THE SPONSOR'S OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS, WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND WILL BE HELD HARMLESS BY WINNER FOR ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND TO PERSONS, INCLUDING DEATH, AND PROPERTY, DUE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF THE PRIZE OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS SWEEPSTAKES OR PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONTEST OR PRIZE RELATED ACTIVITY. Subject to all federal, state and local laws. Void where prohibited.
9. Miscellaneous: All entry information (except for image submissions) becomes the sole property of Sponsor and none will be returned. In the event of a dispute, entries made by Internet will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. The "authorized account holder" is deemed the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, service provider or other online organization that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. A potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure, human error or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, any combination thereof, or otherwise, including any injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, illegible, incomplete, stolen, or misdirected entries. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
10. Winners List: The listed prizewinner will be available by sending a stamped self-addressed envelope after July 30, 2012, to SURFING Magazine "Google Earth Challenge" Contest, 831 South Douglas Street, El Segundo, CA 90245 Attn: Legal.
12. Sponsor(s): The Sponsor of this Contest is: Source Interlink Magazines, LLC (owner and publisher of Surfing Magazine) 831 South Douglas Street, El Segundo, CA 90245.