April Issue 2011 Surfing Magazine

posted by / Magazine / February 22, 2011

April Issue 2011 Surfing Magazine

Here’s an idea: Let’s never go back. Seriously, let’s kick off this strange decade by promising to skip “Hawaii season” next year. I mean, what do we all flock there for anyway? Is it because of the big waves? It is, right? It’s the waves…it must be. I just find it funny that for the other 46 weeks of the year we all go to great lengths to avoid clogging each other’s lineups, but come late fall, we chuck it all out the window and we go to Hawaii…together. The rest of the year we’ll lie to our best friends. Smoke-bomb our own families. Bail on work. Risk relationships. Drive hundreds of miles on a wild whim of fun waves and an empty lineup.

But once November comes, like some bad Pavlovian surf remix, we all book peak-fare tickets and board full planes and show up en masse at the same stretch of beach on the North Shore of Oahu. For a lot of us, it’s ingrained in our DNA. Winter = Go to Hawaii. Don’t ask no questions. We’re like a flock of seabirds in a perfect flying V aimed straight at the islands. Lemmings with board bags on our way to ride the Pipeline, eat at Lei Lei’s, golf, surf, get sunburned, turn around mid-December and go home. Which is obviously just when things get good, but that’s something few of us realize because we stick to our routine. Just look at how often it pumps in January for proof.

I’ve just never been one who likes to go through the motions, and Hawaii is starting to feel like a motion. Or maybe it’s because I’m not one for the big, perfect waves. Whatever the reason, I feel that in order for this sport/lifestyle/ancient tradition etc. to trail-blaze into a fresh little decade, we’re going to need change. And as someone who’s been watching the mean and nasty Pipeline spit on my heroes since I was a kid, I think we should start here.

As of right now, I’ve been going to Hawaii for seven years, and I still haven’t quite been able to emulate Kelly at Backdoor like I thought I would as a kid. And this bothers me. I’m thinking that if we all just spread out a bit, I might have a chance. I mean, take this issue for example: most of the photographs in this issue are from a piece of reef about 100 yards across. We call it “Hawaii Season,” but “PBO Month” would be more accurate: Pipe, Backdoor and Off the Wall. The rest ends up a footnote.

So, fellow haoles, I think it’s time we beat it. And for those of you with me, you might wanna put this magazine down now, ‘cause there are a lot of photos in here that are going to make you think going back to Hawaii is a good idea. I’ll just stop you there and suggest you go do something else. Watch Jeopardy!. Dye some Easter eggs. Write a letter to Obama. Anything but gaze at the following pages. And remember: Don’t go to Hawaii next year. None of us are. It’s canceled. We’re taking a stand for originality — all for one, divided we fall, strength in numbers, and all that noise. Done.

(Sigh.) See you there. F–kin’ Hawaii. —Travis Ferré

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “April Issue 2011 Surfing Magazine”

1. alex says:

best. cover. ever.

2. Dennis says:

God if only you were being serious about skipping next year. I I would honestly rather read about a safari through the onshore beachbreaks of South Carolina than one more word about some cadre of hardcore, underground chargers, who, without sponsors (!!!!), still manage to hog waves at Pipe.

Read your own comments sections guys…people are seriously effing sick of Hawaii. Sick of the mooks. Sick of the macho. Sick of the morons. Sick of the tactics. Sick of the whining. Sick of the 207 wildcards. Sick of the dumb parties with crappy local reggae bands. Sick of Sunny. Sick of precisely what you’re saying…the predictability of it all.

But if you ARE being serious, bravo. Can’t wait to not see it next year.

3. Kaipo Gomes says:

Props to Surfing on that Cover! Great job on the selection of that shot for the Cover. When looking at it you feel as though you are right there. No gripes just props. Good on you and Aloha.

4. dave says:

i know right, who likes good waves, id rather see photos of 3 foot onshore huntington….

5. Tanner Hendrickson says:

Travis Ferré is the best writer in surfing.

6. Tyler says:

************IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM IS THE SWELL CATALOG SOMETHING REAL SURFERS CARE ABOUT******************* The comparison with Toys R Us catalog is the stupidest thing ever printed in any magazine ever.

Nones gives a shit about $80 trunks and $40 tees, unless they are POOF…

A better example would of been the annual SURFBOARD GUIDE because surfboards are something that is really necessary to surf. Well that and Puka shell necklace according to surfing mag>….

PS.. I read it at a super market for free…..learned along time ago what you guys are about….pushing product on the kooks

7. twists says:

right, bra, I don’t like dressing well at all. ^^

8. Darrell says:

Just re-read NSU again. Props to all featured. However though Hank Gaskell is very obviously talented, I would suggest that running down a past sponsor as a corporate monster will not help him to attract a new sponsor(s). He may very well have gotten a raw deal, just not helpful to complain about it in print. Still, wish him the best and hope he is rediscovered.

9. Kris says:

Gnarels Barkley that cover is Shaka bra

10. Patrick Vieira says:

Wow listen to some of these hussies cry about crowded waves and wild parties in Hawaii? I bet these are the same fags that got the opportunity to come here just to sit on the shoulder at pipe and still fag off of a set wave that swung their way!
    I’m sorry you wasted your, your moms, or your sponsors money on your Hawaii trip just to look like a bitch in front of your friends because you suck and had to drop in on some kid just to get a small wave, I’m sorry the most memorable thing about your trip was the beating you caught for dropping in on that same kid and I’m really sorry that there are people like you with sponsors and that kid has to grow up and get a job and read your bullshit!!!

Props to all the underground chargers who earned the recognition they deserved in an awesome issue!!!!