October Issue 2012 SURFING Magazine

posted by / Magazine / August 8, 2012

October Issue 2012 SURFING Magazine

But…why?

“What are you guys doing for your next issue?” asked a friend.

“Brazil,” I replied.

He laughed. I stared. He stopped.

“Seriously though…”

“I am serious. We’re doing a Brazil Issue.”

He wore a bewildered look, like a child who just learned the harsh truth about Santa Claus.

“But…why?” he asked.

Some stereotypes of Brazilian surfers: They’re loud. They’re abrasive. They’re aggressive in the water and their girls have great butts. Caipirinhas. They travel in packs and play soccer but call it football. Açaí. They’re one-trick ponies. Samba. They’re some arm-flailing, MMA-fighting, wave-claiming, passionate motherf–kers.

Some true. Some exaggerated. Some fading.

When I was growing up I’d hear friends, fresh from the North Shore, whine about the aggressive packs of visiting Brazilian surfers. And those returning from Indo spitting about a ruined session at HTs because a boatload of Brazilians stormed the lineup. Without ever surfing with a Brazilian, I was predisposed to dislike them. I wasn’t alone. The American surfer’s disdain for Brazilians may not be universally held, but it’s widespread.

Over the next 10 years I met many Brazilians. After losing a board at Todos Santos, photographer Flavio Vidigal picked me up on his Ski and took me to retrieve it. Three years later he let me stay with his family when I visited Brazil during Carnival. I met Carlos Burle and Maya Gabeira in Tahiti. To this day Carlos greets me with a hug and writes “My dear friend!!!!!” in emails. Maya would later become my housemate — while not always quiet, she was always clean. I met Danilo Couto, who, as Danny Fuller says, “Is the best thing to happen to Brazil since açaí.” I met some shitty Brazilians too, but no more than I met ugly Americans or Aussies.

And I also met Miguel Pupo, who visited the SURFING offices last year with a $30,000 gold spike in his pocket. He’d just won the 2011 Nike Lowers Pro and was on his way to Disneyland. He had a calm demeanor. He smiled easily. A few months later I’d do a one-page article on Miguel entitled “Brazilian 2.0,” in which Miguel said, “Sometimes I feel like when you show up to a competition people are like, ‘Ahh, he’s Brazilian. I don’t really like him.’ But after they talk to you, those things change.”

Maybe it’s a Slumdog Millionaire scenario, where every positive interaction I’ve had with a Brazilian was some mystical preparation to make a Brazil Issue of an American magazine. To give them the credit they deserve. Or maybe it’s a Paul Revere moment, where I ride my steed along the shores of Snapper Rocks, the Outer Banks and Trestles, warning the orthodox surfing community, “The Brazilians are coming! The Brazilians are coming!” To force the surfing world to pay attention — because they are serious competition now.

But they already know that the Brazilians are coming. Not quite here yet — Dave Wassel on page one is a perfect example of not quite; we were at a loss for a cover-worthy photo of a Brazilian surfer — but they’re coming. And negative connotations are softening, because hatred stems from ignorance and we are getting to know Brazilians. With so many of them speaking English, the language barrier has become the first domino to fall, and it’s helping to topple a long row of stereotypes. But hopefully not all of them. The Brazilians’ airs still boggle the mind. They still have gorgeous women. And I’m even starting to enjoy the claims they keep throwing, unapologetically, at the end of so many waves. —Taylor Paul

Inside this Issue

FALA COMIGO (TALK TO ME)

081 FALA COMIGO (TALK TO ME)

What do we know about Brazil and its people, apart from açaí, Carnival and fist pumping? There are some burning questions and SURFING’s Chas Smith asks them. Ricardo Macario of Brazil’s major surf mag, Fluir, answers. A peace talk fit for Camp David.

MIGGY SEE, MIGGY DO

086 MIGGY SEE, MIGGY DO

Miguel Pupo is Brazil’s leading and most articulate nexus between his country and the rest of the world. There are misconceptions about Brazil, some rooted in bigotry, some in plain truth. Miggy navigates between the two and filters the muddy waters.

THE GIFT OF GABS

088 THE GIFT OF GABS

Yes, pro surfers fall. And of course that clip was supposed to be upside down. Actual filmmaker Jack Coleman shows it all and does it all — on reel and in house — all in the name of fun.

CLAIMS DISCLAIMER

096 CLAIMS DISCLAIMER

If feeling good about a wave is wrong, we don’t wanna be right. Chas Smith gets to the core of claims and decodes Brazil’s true motto in the process.

IN THEIR EXPERT OPINIONS

098 IN THEIR EXPERT OPINIONS

Is the sentiment toward Brazilian surfers as universal as we think it is? Ten pros from across the globe give us their thoughts on Brazil and its people.

THE BRAZILIAN SPRING

101 THE BRAZILIAN SPRING

They’re winning events now. A lot of them. When did this start happening? Why? And what took so long? Brazilian Steven Allain, editor of Hardcore, explains the Brazo ascension.

ILHA DE DEUS

104 ILHA DE DEUS

Heaven is an island in the Atlantic and it’s owned by Brazil. Mitch Coleborn, Victor Ribas, Evan Geiselman, Mitch Crews and Kai Barger play in the swimming-pool water and explain their love for Fernando de Noronha. Photos by Tom Carey.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “October Issue 2012 SURFING Magazine”

1. Filipe Bozolan says:

Amazing text..as you sad.there are a lot of shitti brazilian, but, most of then are amazing guys..tks from brazil..

2. luis says:

hi there! ever since you got the swellwatch forecasts, they hardly ever work! what’s up whit that?? …. its one of the best forecast tools around, and should bring u lotta new fans, but if it dont work it gives u nothin but bad rep…. thanx

3. Jason Miller says:

Hi Luis,

Could you email me here: Jason [at] modernality.com and explain in greater detail the issues you’re having with the forecast. Also, a screenshot of the missing forecast would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Jason

4. isbp says:

Read Oct. issue forward and backward. Impressive picts and collaboration makes this issue a keeper.

5. DGCOVA says:

congrats surfing magazine to recognizing the talent of brazilian surfers and their passion of our sport….
    since they started to travel for INDO, Tahiti, HW, Aussie and etc… they reached the highest level of manuveurs and big surf….the quality of sponsors and the brazilian midia helped to this achieviment….Brasil has so many talented surfers that just need a support….what didnt happened past years…..but if nowadays Brazos has Pupo Medina and many others, they have to be thankfull for the pioneers, some guys like; Vitor Ribas, Jojo Olivença, P ROsa, Padarats Brothers and Fabio Gouveia cause they started everything without a half of support than brazilians has today….Plus; Good People and Bad People are in another place of the World….

6. Alex Puga says:

Obrigado pela inédita edição. Nos realmente fizemos por merecer. Nosso primeiro título mundial esta próximo. E esse, me desculpem, mas vocês vão ter que engolir.

7. Luiz Castilho says:

Hi there to all the crew and CONGRATULATIONS for what I have just seen!
    Brazilians have been fighting against this bad reputation with the international surfing media and others but in my opinion it’s really easy to judge when you are Australian and its entire population (20 million people) is found on the coast, while Brazilian Population is 10 times bigger (205 million peoples).
    Aggressiveness?? I wouldn’t call brazzos aggressive but that’s they way you need to be when you paddle for a wave with other 50 people.
    Language Barrier made it worse because Brazilians couldn’t fight back and explain themselves to the world. But, don’t you worry, the way the new generation of Brazilian surfers does, we will all surrender and learn a bit of Portuguese.
    Luiz Castilho

8. Luiz Castilho says:

people*

9. Brazz0 says:

Yea, bra. Glad to see some North American love dedicated to your at times so-called ‘less privileged’ South American ‘cousins’. Hopefully in a near future, with some economy growth, they won’t be so stereotyped anymore. For some funny reason, now that economy is flowing, so are various aspects / industries for Brazilians. Even Macy’s in San Fran had ‘Brasil’ written all over it back in May. It’s like a fashion thing. It might just be coincidence, but talent is evident out there anyway from gen Y of surfers. Perhaps next time they shall have a mag cover shot. Medina has already proven in Tahiti he can provide a good barrel photo. Airs, you pick the flying position. The world was created with no barriers, man invented it, so there are no reasons why the surfing world shouldn’t be a nice cultural mix. The Brazilian magazines have always published covers, articles and news featuring surfers from other countries. Open-mindedness is a blessing, not a curse.

10. Ricardo vieira says:

parabéns surfing, é muita coragem de sua equipe e uma ótima visão não so do nosso pais, mais também do esporte.
    obrigado e vamos com tudo, porque quem ganha e o esporte.

11. [...] Confira a integra da entrevista aqui. [...]

12. Jorge Jojó says:

Vou escrever em portugues mesmo, mas quem puder traduzir para o ingles eu agradeceria muito, haja visto ser péssimo o meu ingles. Bom, sempre houve um certo preconceito contra brasileiros no exterior, principalmente na América do Norte e Europa. Aliás, não apenas contra brasileiros, mas contra sul-americanos de um modo geral. E obviamente, isto atingiu ao surf também. Atletas como Fábio Silva, segundo divulgou-se na imprensa na época, tinha dificuldades de suportar o clima hostíl contra brasileiros, no WCT. Hoje isto mudou um pouco, graças ao maior reconhecimento internacional e graças ao sucessivo destaque mundial nos eventos dos quais nossos atletas participam e vencem. Antes, não tinhamos uma extrutura de suporte como temos hoje. Tinhamos competidores talentosos, que abriram as portas, mas faltava a extrutura, a integração cultural, o caminho que levasse o Brasil a ter o merecido reconhecimento. Era isto que faltava. Quando atingimos este estágio, os gringos acabaram percebendo que aqui não era terra apenas do carnaval e do samba, que tanto amamos. Era terra também de jovens dedicados e que hoje o mundo reconhece. Bom que eles aprenderam a respeitar e a conviver com pessoas que sempre os respeitaram, pois o brasileiro sempre respeitou todos os povos do planeta. Aqui não tem este negócio de Maomé, Judeu, Palestino, etc. Seja voce quem for, será sempre respeitado. Foi o que não fizeram com os nossos no passado.

Maximum respect to brazilians, because we respect you guys.
    Thanks and congrats for.

This is it!

Jorge Jojó
    Rio de Janeiro city,
    Brazil.

13. Pedro Vidigal says:

I was very surprised when I suddenly found my father’s name in that text. As I read the lines, I remembered of my friend Taylor and the great times we had together here in Brazil and in San Diego (remember the party by the SDSU bro?!). As a brazilian and having traveled for some countries around the globe, I can tell that attitudes are pretty much the key to unlock any misconception people carry within. But this text is an attitude which target not one, but millions of surfers. I just showed the text for my dad and he is also very stoked. Hope to see you soon bro, our house is open for you here.

Abraços!

Pedro Vidigal

14. Mauricio says:

Neweton’s law:
    Third law: When a first body exerts a force F1 on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force F2 = −F1 on the first body. This means that F1 and F2 are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.
    Like gringos,aussies,brazos & others.
    Niceness beget niceness…

Wellcome to Brazil goodwill people!!!