Billabong Pipeline Masters Final Day Synopsis:
- Kelly Slater mows down Ace Buchan in the quarters. Ace — last soldier standing against Parko’s Triple Crown war machine — goes down in a hail of proverbial lead. Parko takes third straight VTCS title, a feat shared only by Sunny G. Dynasty!
- Dane Reynolds tries a pretty big air at Backdoor. Modern!
- Jeremy Flores “Slaters” Slater in the semis. Or maybe, Kelly Slater “Taylor Knoxes” Jeremy. The two trade 9’s and Kelly leads with priority, and is guaranteed to win the heat and event. We think. But the script goes all Coen Brothers when Kelly lets a wave go by and Jeremy turns it into victory. Plot twist!
- Dane waits until five minutes remain to log his only ride against Kieren Perrow in their semi. Yawn!
- Kieren vs. Jeremy in the finals of the Pipeline Masters. Odd couple!
- Kieren, perennial Backdoor/OTW boss, comboes Jeremy and then loses when Jeremy pulls his now-familiar trump card: a last-minute righthand surprise package for 9.37. Crickets!
- Jeremy Flores, former child prodigy, gets his first WT victory after four long years, leaving a trail of fallen celebrities in his wake. The monkey climbs down from Jeremy’s back, the voices in his ear go silent. he has earned this. Redemption!