Monday Photos: Icy East

Balaram Stack and Sam Hammer, a two man army. Photo: Luke Simpson

Balaram Stack and Sam Hammer, a two man army. Photo: Luke Simpson

Empty, perfect and absolutely freezing. Photo: Luke Simpson

Empty, perfect and insanely cold. Photo: Luke Simpson

Five millimeters later. Photo: Luke Simpson

Five millimeters later. Photo: Luke Simpson

A week before this, Balaram Stack was doing this same thing at Backdoor. Photo: Luke Simpson

A week before this, Balaram Stack was doing this at Backdoor. Different climate, same concept. Photo: Luke Simpson

Balaram Stack, hands-free driving. Photo: Luke Simpson

Balaram, hands-free driving. Photo: Luke Simpson

Wasn't Hammer-time in the 1980's? Photo: Luke Simpson

Wasn't Hammer-time in the 1980's? Sam, late to nobody's party but his own. Photo: Luke Simpson

Balaram Stack, no need to crouch. Photo: Luke Simpson

Balaram Stack, why crouch? Photo: Luke Simpson

Sam Hammer gets one last wave before the long drive back to New Jersey. Photo: Luke Simpson

Sam Hammer gets one last wave before the long, but warm, drive back to New Jersey. Photo: Luke Simpson

It was probably one of the coldest surfs of my life. I woke up at 3 AM, met up with Sam Hammer and drove a few hours into New England. By the time we got to the spot, I think the air was -4 degrees. Absolutely freezing. There were these massive waves on the outer sandbar, but it wasn’t that good so we waited for the tide to come in. And the shorebreak started firing. It was just Sam and I out for a while, and then a few locals joined us. The waves were insane and we surfed for a few hours, came in to warm up and got a few more in the afternoon. We drove back home stoked — with the heat on full blast.-Balaram Stack

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Monday Photos: Icy East”

1. chaser says:

No thanks, flights out of NYC to PR are pretty cheap.

2. give it a run says:

16 shoulda been in the mag..

3. Carl says:

9 and 10 are no slouches…

4. player hater says:

it was cold in NC too! and way shittier than that…

5. ItsOnlyAParkinglotWang says:

another suring area that managed to stay out of the media spotlight fairly well over the yerars finally turned out, pimped, whored-out and sold out for fuckin’ web pieces on ing’, ‘er and surfline.
    way to go all invloved !

6. CArlos says:

@IOAPW: yeah, because we all can identify the place by the frozen sand in the foreground… And we all want to go to freeze our asses off… whiny wanker

7. bufu says:

Actually Carlos if you’re from the Northeast it’s pretty easy to tell where the spot is. Before the photos I didn’t know that area was holding. Hammer and the boys seemed to of let the cat out of the bag. That sucks for the locals. Considering how popular surfing is getting and how good wetsuits are I would be really pissed. Anyway thanks Hammer and company for the pics. Hopefully my crew and I can make it up there sometime, looks epic.

8. Daniel says:

@parking lot where we’re you sitting around with your blankie

9. BillNye says:

“@Bufu: … Considering how popular surfing is getting & how good wetsuits are I would be really pissed.”

You and @IOAPW are missing one crucial factor, no “band-wagon surfer” is going to surf when it’s -4 degrees…

Balram is from Long Island, same as myself. He knows cold water, when he says it was “probably one of the coldest surfs of his life”, he’s not lying. I don’t think your spot was gonna be over crowded. Not to mention I’ve been across a good amount of New England, and I’m having trouble trying to identify the spot.

Bottom line, enjoy the SICK photos. Props Luke & boys.

10. ebb says:

You dont have to fight for waves when its like that ..only a few people are gonna sack up and thers miles of it..in the warmer months when its two to four foot is when the problems occur…so come on down dec-march when its pumping (like once or maybe twice a month) the rest of you…piss off.

11. its really ok says:

just like everywhere. twice as many as last year …half as many as next…get usedtoit boy

12. Craig says:

Reliving San Francisco w/o photos from there.

13. JP says:

OMG. I remember that sea shell on the lower left. I know exactly where that is! On my way now! :)