Frederico Morais // Globetrotting // 3:11

posted by / Video / January 8, 2014

Meet Fred. He’s a 22-year-old regularfoot from Cascais, Portugal with eyes that stare at the WCT. You may remember him from his slaying of Slater in Round 2 of the Rip Curl Pro at Peniche or from his final finish at the Vans World Cup of Surfing at Sunset Beach. Fred surfs with the power of a wild horse and he throws the tail high enough to impress even the grumpiest judge. He was declared Triple Crown of Surfing Rookie of the Year and finished 58th on the Prime series in 2013. In this newly released edit, called The Time Is Now, Fred does some globetrotting. Actually, not trotting — stomping. Fred stomps waves like they owe him results. And they kind of do. —Brendan Buckley

SURFING Magazine: How did this edit come about?

Frederico Morais: It’s just a clip I’ve been working on for a little while. The first bit is from Mexico and El Salvador last summer, which was really fun. Then there are a few waves from Morocco from a trip there in the fall. And finally, a few clips from this winter in Portugal, filmed right after I got back from Hawaii.

How was your time in Hawaii?

Wow [laughs]… Man, it was the best trip of my life. I didn’t have high expectations going there — just to have fun and get some waves — but I ended up making the final at Sunset Beach and won Triple Crown Rookie of the Year. It was my first time competing in the Triple Crown and I was so stoked.

Did making the final put you in a pretty good spot to try and qualify next year?

I finished the year in 58th place, so now I’ll be able to get into all of the Primes in 2014. And that was my goal for the year, so I’m really happy with where I’m at. I’ll be in a good spot to really put my head down and possibly qualify. That’s the goal now, that’s where my focus will be this year.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Frederico Morais // Globetrotting // 3:11”

1. yo momma says:

Kid should work just a bit on his stance and air game (maybe stomp some oops? I know it’s not good for your knees nor the easiest thing to pull in a jersey, but the same air reverse over and over again seems like kalohe’s surfing), and stomp some more lefts.

Other than that, y’gotta love the power and rawness of his surfing! Like a motherfuckin’ machine!!!

2. yo pappa says:

This Vid is Amazingg !!! Ae U kiddding mee , you can’t find this power on these days and kikas just do it very weell !!!
    Love to see these type of movies , better than the CT’s . good luck to 2014 !!!!

3. RC says:

he’s even better on his backside! another good video of kikas destroying!

4. Jens Larsson says:

Great surfer and very likeable character! :)

5. yo momma says:

dass… gostava de ver as vossas caras quando perceberem que tb sou português! A verdade é que o kikas precisa, mesmo, de melhorar um bocadinho a pose, e mesmo nas esquerdas o gajo parte a loiça, mas acho que podia ser melhor! Obviamente que ele surfa 1milhao de vezes melhor do que eu alguma vez posso surfar e chegar ao CT é uma questão de “quando” e não “se”, mas acho que dar uma opinião construtiva não faz mal nenhum, certo? A única coisa que acho que lhe falta às vezes, é ter uma “stance” (stance, não é estilo, antes que me degolem) um bocado mais agressiva, meter aquele joelho esquerdo pa dentro, etc..
    Abraços e metam gelo!

6. David Nelson says:

Bede Durbidge 2.0 That’s meant as a compliment.

7. yo pappa says:

yo momma dá ai mais umas dicas maninho ! eu no tubo não tenho grande stance como treinar isso ???
    Kikas caga lá po joelho, só de ver as aguas que saltam dessa prancha até me arrepio todo ! grandes turns , altas aérios , bons tubos fds nao me lixem !!

8. Alex says:

Throwing body on those turns! Some quality surfing

9. Matt S. says:

Yeah but can he do a front side carve? Ha!

Nice surfing.

10. Joaquín says:

Barrels???

11. chris eaves says:

great rail surfing clip fun to watch. needs more backside for a better edit. best of luck